It has been reported that approximately 93% of all car accidents occur due to poor driving, intoxication, and other human errors. If you meet with a car accident, then you have the legal right to ask for compensation for all the physical injuries and mental trauma suffered. Many car accident victims fail to get adequate compensation as they ignore a few basic guidelines involved while filing a compensation claim in a car accident case. Awareness of what should be done or avoided after a car accident can improve the chances of obtaining maximum compensation. Click here.
If you are involved in any type of car accident, simply follow these basic guidelines:
DON'T panic and leave the accident site. Remain and note down essential details.
The pain, shock, and confusion may make you run away from the accident spot. You should always seek for immediate medical attention if you are critically injured. Leaving the accident site is unlawful and it can easily weaken your case. Know more.
Note down relevant details like:
- Names, telephone numbers, addresses of the persons involved in the accident.
- Vehicle details like make, registration number, insurance company details, color, headlights, etc.
- Accident details like how it took place, was the signal red or green, speed of the vehicles etc.
- Date and time of the accident
- Environmental conditions like visibility, weather, street lighting, etc.
- Damage to the vehicles involved
- Take photographs of the accident site, as evidence for claiming compensation.
- DO NOT admit liability.DO give your details to the other party.
In case of car accident, the opposite party may blame you for causing the accident. It is quite likely that in a confused state you may not remember what has taken place or think that you caused it. A thorough investigation can only conclude who was at fault. By owning up, your fault you would be only minimizing the chances of getting compensation.
- Never overlook legal formalities and speak to the necessary authorities.
- After the evidence is documented, the next essential step is to contact the police within 24 hours of the accident.
- Provide all your insurance documents while reporting the accident.
- Discuss accident details with the police; however avoid talk on your fault or liability.
- Contact your insurance company within specified time limit as laid down in your policy and inform them whether you are going to claim compensation.Injuries are not to be overlooked, even if they appear to be trivial.
- DO seek advice from a doctor.
- Consult a doctor right way after the accident since medical report is one of the prime documents for submitting a compensation claim.In no way, sign any document.
- DO consult a qualified car accident lawyer. Read more here.
Insurance companies will make efforts to decrease any compensation amount, which you get. They would discuss with you or compel you to sign documents, which you may not comprehend. It is essential to consult an advocate who has experience in car accident compensation claims immediately after meeting with an accident. The attorney would advice you about the claim process, assist in negotiation with the insurance companies, and make sure that you get the appropriate compensation amount. Visit site.